Thursday, April 26, 2012

rough morning

Rough morning.  I dragged Bennett from bed at 9 am.  She had her eyes closed as I dressed her only opening them to refuse the dress I had chosen.  After peering at about 10 dresses she picked one and allowed me to put it on her as she was in a rag doll state.  We made it to school at about 9:45 (drop off is from 8:30 -9 am).

I stayed through circle time.  It is pretty cool to see what concepts they are working on days of the week, seasons, months, years ect.  It is also interesting to see that out of roughly 20 kids - 5 are bored - 10 are really engaged and 5 are kind of lost but I am sure getting something (they are the deaf boy, shy girls and young ones).  I remember going through school being bored, engaged and occasionally lost.  B is among the lost right now though I know she is still getting so much from school.

Leaving was difficult.  I had to ask for help and one of the teachers had to physically restrain B so I could leave the building.  How many times a week does she need to be restrained from running and kicking while screaming and crying?  I am not sure probably an average of one time a day.

Its taking its toll - I got home around 11 am and could not muster the strength to do any of my planned work.  I wanted to go to SF to finish a railing - ha good luck.  I managed to take Zues out for a run in the woods - 3 miles and I did the dishes!

Good friend Ruth C. reminded me things will get better.

I have enjoyed some good posts from Mary, Jim and others - this made me smile


Don't forget, there are polar bears in Central Park

This is Toes our lovely kitty that Ruth found on the side of the road and swore to me she thought the sign read free kitchen (I had said I did not like cats).  We laughed many times about that story.

6 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Pat. For what it's worth, Avy has been similarly disagreeable lately. She had a complete and prolonged meltdown today because I would not go back to A 2 Z for another toy after she regretted her purchase yesterday of a Playmobil figure. She often has buyer's remorse and I think it is a ploy to get me to buy her something else, on top of the new toy that is not quite cutting it. Ugh.

    anyway, Ruth C is right: things will get better. You are doing a great job with Bennett.
    See you--Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Toes! I remember Ruth's satisfaction at having nabbed another life form to surround herself with. She was always adding life around her, the more the better. And her satisfaction with Toes having so many toes. And how, just a few months ago, she wryly informed me that she had needed to lecture Toes on etiquette, informing her that most cats are not so impolite as to insist on kneeding their people's chests and bellies for minutes on end.
    Sigh.
    I decided not to go to NYC tomorrow again, so perhaps we'll be chatting again then.
    --Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I wish I were closer! Zeb did the same thing to me when he was 4 - going to pre-school. Only about once a week for about a month or two. You and Bennett are in my constant prayers. You have some wonderful and wise friends little sister. Things will get better. I love you more than you can ever know!

    ps. Today is dad's 82 birthday - maybe he had something to do with B's behavior :-) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things are hard but you two are doing great. You take care of B and yourself everyday. For now, it's day to day and enjoying the moments you get.
    Elizabeth S

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when I was 5 my mother wanted to take my picture in a dress in front of a morning glory vine. I don't know why, but the whole idea of it just pissed me off. I remember throwing the biggest fit I could possible throw and when I started losing momentum I dug deep to try and bring it to another level.
    Shauna used to throw huge fits every time we needed to go somewhere. I would have to carry her to the car kicking and screaming, lock the doors quick so she couldn't jump out and turn the radio up to drown out her crying. It was exhausting.
    For those of us who were, or who had, strong willed children, we can relate. I know it's that much more difficult for both you and Bennett to add grief to one of parenting's toughest behavior dilemmas. Take care Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have images in my head of Scout pummeling Walter Cunningham on the playground in To Kill a Mockingbird.

    She was dealing with loss and confusion too.

    We love you guys,

    Jim, Bob and the rest of the NYC polar bears.

    ReplyDelete