Saturday, April 14, 2012

life boat

I am trying to read "When husbands die"(another gift from Marianna).  I was initially turned off by the title  and still am having a hard time.  It was written by Smith Alumni which is interesting to me since the school is in the next town and Ruth worked there.  Ruth would tell me stories of the wealth of the alumni and the social decorum.  I guess thats why I am having difficulty relating.  She also had a difficult time working there and felt released when she was let go from the position.

Many of the women in the book feel some release from their husbands death (as is natural from prolonged illness).  Of course I did not want Ruth to feel more pain but I do not feel released.

Most of the women are over 60.  Not to say that is that far away from me but having a 4 year old makes it further.  I searched for the small percentage of women who were younger but as the book says "Obviously the women with young children were busy beyond belief.  They had little time to meet the needs of their own grief"

It is true I feel often my energy is focussed toward Bennett and her grief.  This is not bad.  I rely on her to guide me through my own grief.  I often feel like we are on a life boat at sea.


Mary and Ruth - young and older.  they shared a boat through life.



6 comments:

  1. I ran 3 miles today with Zeus - Ruth C. came over and played with B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem with reading about other people's experiences is that they belong to someone else and not you. Dealing with a four year old is hard enough without what you guys are going through. Bennett is exploring boundaries and exerting her indepedence. It must be exhausting!
    I love the new photo on the top of the page - I always felt like Ruth was more of a twin than a younger sister. I have no recollection of life before her and we were always there for each other. I'm not going to lie, I miss her more every day, not less.
    Love you guys. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great pictures of Mary and Ruth. So much love and so much remembrance.

    When you are sorrowful,
    look again in your heart,
    And you shall see that in truth you are weeping
    For that which has been your delight.

    from The Prophet
    by Kahill Gibran

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat you are doing a great job and I agree with Mary that everyone has their own path and your journey with your grief is unique to you, just as Bennett's is to her. So glad you are moving your studio to their building. I really want SF to be part of this and hope we can all figure out how to make that happen. I agree with the Birthday party thing, but it looks like it's become part of school age lives. The offer still stands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, just like Ruth, you are writing your own book and we're all benefiting from it. I'm also grateful that the grief and wisdom of so many of your friends keep popping through in the comments, also teaching me.

    You and Bennett are lucky to have each other in the lifeboat. You're a good mom.

    Love, Jim

    ReplyDelete