Tuesday, April 24, 2012

going low

Lately I have been falling asleep with Bennett then waking up in the middle of the night with low blood sugar.  Its a bit of a pain.  I guess I should count myself as lucky since I can feel myself going low and can get up to eat something.

Usually I eat more than I need because I do not want to wake up again this can lead into my rollercoaster blood sugar days.  I will have numbers in the 200 -300 range then down to 70 or less a few hours later after trying to adjust with insulin.

I really hate talking about it.  I like to maintain the illusion that I am in control.

We skipped Tai Chi tonight.  Bennett did not want to go.  We talked about it in the car on the way home from school - she said she has to go to school and mama has to go to work but we do not have to go to tai chi.   I agreed with her assesment so we snuggled on the couch, watched a movie, took a bath and went to bed.

We did miss Aunt Ruth.

Ran 3 miles today.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pat -

    Stress must be playing havoc with your blood sugar.

    I'm glad that summer is getting close so that you don't have the Monday night trauma for a while. It cannot be a good way to start the week.

    I love the picture from the last post of Ruth & Bennett.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can picture you and Bennett collapsing together at the end of your long days: safe and home with each other, the battles of the day fought and settled. I'll bet Mary's right about the stress and sugar. Wish we lived closer to take a turn giving you a break, another movie night perhaps.

    Don't forget, there are polar bears in Central Park.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! That was Halloween 2010, Bennett was three! I think she was a fairy-Dora, right? That pumpkin was the one Theo helped Bennett to carve--and I think Bennett was the one who thought up the game of peering through it like a telescope. You are into posting the big hands lately. I always like that Ruth had hands even a little bigger than mine.

    I think you are making the right choices about what you and Bennett do. I was inspired to go to the intro class anyway, and will show you the qi gong we learned there. (Like I said, I have been wanting to learn that set, rather than just run through it, for a while now, so that was really perfect for me.) Later, at the open class, D showed me something in partner work: Tai ji partner work is all about resting and supporting, and D showed me that if you can support your partner without feeling like, "Okay, I can bear this," but, differently--I don't have the words to explain it yet--but, it feels like, with more acceptance, calm??--that their push just ends up going back toward them! Amazing work, this tai ji stuff. Sometimes it feels like magic.

    Keep talking about the foodstuffs/blood sugars; I think it'll end up easier to think well about it, that way.

    Look forward to talking to you today,
    xo
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete