Monday, August 20, 2012

Sagging roof

My incredible brother Mark and his lovely partner Sue stopped by this weekend.  Typical of my family we somehow did not communicate that they would be stopping by.  It was great anyway.  Mark took on one of the major problems I have encountered while trying to build out the back of our building the sagging underbuilt roof joists.

We worked all day Saturday.  Mark sweating away ripping out crap and putting up new joists, me helping a bit and running to home depot to get supplies.  We managed to get in 6 new joists and began to make the ceiling look a bit straighter.  I can't believe the whole thing didnt fall in before.

A good friend from our home town Paul invited us over to his house for dinner ( in Northampton the town over).  He and his lovely partner Tim (I am jealous of the lovely partners) hosted a wonderful meal and Bennett played with their foster kids.

B, Ruth C and I checked out a potential welding job yesterday.  We met a couple of very interesting women living in a cool building in Holyoke.  They need a gate made for the condo garden - its right up my alley.  I think I will be doing that and getting ready for the fall semester in the next couple of weeks.

Running is hard to maintain - B and I took Zeus out to scotts tower but I have not built my strength up to jogging up hill with B in the stroller.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Pat,
    It's good to hear your blog voice again. I need to remember to check in with you about that foot problem. See you and Bennett soon. Lots of love,
    Ruth C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a monumental project that buidling is, I guess, like so much of your life has been for a long while now. As always, it's so good to hear the kind of help you get from friends and family.

    Love, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark is such a sweetheart (Sue, too)! I can't believe how he sizes things up then jumps right in. Be sure to post pictures of the gate. It sounds like a wonderful project. Also good luck getting ready for the semester. We started this week and it is always exciting (energizing) getting to know the new students.
    Much love to you and Bennett!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are AMAZING, Pat!
    Hugs, Karen B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow I think of the year starting in the fall; I guess because I've worked in schools all my life. Your year is really starting well. I love your home and all the work you've put into it. It's a wonderful place for you and B.
    Elizabeth S

    ReplyDelete